Deputy Sheriff (POST Mandated)
$42,792 - $65,282 / year
Please be sure to read the minimum requirements and the automatic disqualifiers below.
NATURE OF WORK:
The purpose of this classification is to provide law enforcement and security to the County.
SOME OF THE ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
Secures inmates in holding cells or jails; oversees the processing of inmates into jail including booking and ID preparation; transports prisoners to and from court or doctorís appointments; arranges and performs interstate extradition; supervises and assists in the bonding and releasing of prisoners; manages inmate control and movement; conducts shakedowns and searches for contraband; responds to inmate disturbances; follows the case status of inmates; maintains personal possessions of inmates; creates ledgers and accounts for inmatesí money; maintaining cash drawer for bond fees, processing checks; manages petty cash; transports mental patients to medical facilities; performs uniform patrol work; assists in investigations of crimes; maintains security for various facilities including court, jail, juror locations and other property located in the County; prepares and reviews various reports and documents such as booking reports, vehicle lists, personal property lists, hospital duty rosters, productivity reports, shift activity reports, arrest reports, accident reports, citizen complaint documents, court documents, affidavits, etc.; maintains files and makes copies as necessary; serves civil process papers including search warrants, protective orders, subpoenas and arrest warrants; oversees the uniform budget; orders and issues uniforms; attends staff meetings and other meetings as required. Performs other related duties as required. Tasks require the ability to exert heavy physical effort in heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling and the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 160 pounds).
Selection will be made from a register of eligible applicants that may be established by education, work experience, test score, personal interview, credit check, criminal history, driving history (copy of driverís license may be required), drug screen, and/or physical examination.
MUST MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must be Georgia POST certified.
- Must possess and maintain valid Peace Officer and firearms certifications.
- Vocational/technical training in Basic Law Enforcement.
- Five (5) months previous experience and/or training involving law enforcement work.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driverís license.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be able and willing to work any shift/hours.
AUTOMATIC APPLICATION DISQUALIFIERS:
- Any conviction of a felony criminal act.
- Any conviction of impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer.
- Any conviction of fleeing or attempting to elude Police.
- Any conviction involving bringing contraband across a guard line.
Note: Conviction refers to the disposition being entered by a plea or verdict of guilty or a plea of nolo contendere.
- Any Marijuana use within the last year.
- Any use of other illegal drugs within the past three (3) years.
- Any sale, distribution, manufacturing or transportation of any illegal drug.
- Tattoos are allowed unless deemed offensive in nature by the Sheriff.
You will be required to pass a Civil Service Exam and complete a Physical Agility Evaluation. The Physical Agility consists of: The Step Run (run up 72 steps and back down), 1/4 mile run, 10 push-ups, drag a weighted object approximately 20 yards, all within 5 minutes.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42,792 - $65,282 / year
Required education: High School or equivalent (Required).
License: GA Peace Officer (Not State Corrections. Must be Basic LE POST) (Required)CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW